Attending an interview is always a nerve-wracking experience! No matter how many you have aced before, you are always facing a new Hiring Manager with completely new values and personality!
So aside from the normal 'Tell us about yourself' type of interview questions, what should you expect?
Here are some difficult interview questions that will help you land the vacancy you have been looking for:
- Why did you apply for this job? - This is a very important questions that you should be asking yourself before you even hit the 'apply' button. Prepare a detailed answer, emphasizing how your previous work experience matches their job description, how you believe you would fit with their company culture and employer branding.
- What motivates you at work? - This is your chance to talk about the environment in which you are able to perform at your best.
- What do you dislike about your current job? - Avoid negativity at all costs! Talk about the growth your new role would bring you compared to your current one.
- How do you respond to criticism? - Turn the attention to constructive criticism that will allow you to learn and get better at your job.
- What are your strengths or USPs (Unique Selling Points)? - Stand out from the crowd and answer the question by using the STAR method (Situation>Task>Action>Result). Say that you are organized but follow up with the nature of the event and your responsibility in the process and than talk about the spreadsheets and policies you put in place which solved a problem.
- Why you? - This often is the closing question. Sell, sell, sell! Talk about your experience but also you as a person, your approach, your attitude and why you are the best candidate for this role.